The Farmers State Bank has been locally owned and operated since 1919. We invite you to visit any one of our seven locations for all of your banking and financial needs.
Our mission is to provide the best banking service to all customers.
In 1889, the history of The Farmers State Bank began with H.G. Bloom opening Farmers Bank in New Madison, Ohio. Mr. Bloom was the sole shareholder and president of the bank until his death in 1907. After his death, the bank moved locations within New Madison and the name was changed to the Farmers Banking Company.
Operations continued as the Farmers Banking Company until 1919, when a State Banking Charter was obtained and the name was changed to The Farmers State Bank. Over the next several years, ownership of the bank changed as the Bloom family divested ownership to others within the New Madison community.
In 1926, E.H Coblentz joined the bank as an Assistant Cashier and progressed through the bank to become President and Chairman of the Board of Directors in 1949. He continued with the bank until his death in 1967. E.H. was followed by his son, Clay S. Coblentz, who assumed the Presidency of the bank until 1983. Clay continued to serve the bank as Chairman of the Board of Directors until his death in 1991.
Clay’s son, Jack A. Coblentz, joined the Board of Directors in 1964 serving in various capacities as a Bank Officer and Director over the years. Jack followed the footsteps of his father and grandfather as he currently is Chairman of the Board of Directors.
Bank growth was slow and steady for the first fifty years of operation, but in 1969 a new building was constructed at 101 South Main Street, New Madison, Ohio to house the banking operations. Growth opportunities in Darke County Ohio prompted the bank to expand to Greenville, Ohio in 1979 with a location at 1107 Sweitzer Street, Greenville, Ohio, which is across from the Great Darke County Fairgrounds. The first banking center outside of Darke County was opened in 1989 at 618 South Washington Street, New Paris, Ohio. A second location was opened in Greenville in 2000 at 675 Wagner Ave. In 2009, a branch was opened in Warren County at 65 West Central Avenue, Springboro, Ohio. In 2014 we opened our sixth location at 100 North Commerce Street, Lewisburg, Ohio. The seventh and most recent location was opened in 2015 at 930 East Washington Street, Winchester, Indiana.