The origin of The Farmers State Bank was in 1889
with H. G. Bloom commencing operations of the Farmers Bank.
Mr. Bloom was the sole shareholder and President of the bank until
his death in 1907. After his death, the bank moved locations within New
Madison and the name was changed to the Farmers Banking Company.
Operation of the Farmer Bank continued until 1919,
when a State Banking Charter was obtained and the name was changed to The
Farmers State Bank. Over the next several years the ownership of the bank
changed as the Bloom family divested their ownership to others within the
New Madison community, but the name remained the same. The name was not
the only thing that remained the same over the next 95 years.
In 1926, E. H. Coblentz joined the bank as an
Assistant Cashier and he continued with the bank until his death in 1967.
Mr. Coblentz progressed through the bank to become President and Chairman
of the Board of Directors in 1949. E.H. was followed by his son, Clay S.
Coblentz, whom assumed the Presidency of the bank until 1983. Clay served
as Chairman of the Board of Directors until his death in 1991. Clay son,
Jack A. Coblentz, joined the Board of Directors of the bank in 1964 and
has in various capacities as a Bank Officer and Director over the years.
Jack A. Coblentz is currently the Chairman of the Board of Directors, a
position he has occupied for the past several years.
Bank growth was slow and steady for the first fifty
years of operation, but in 1969 a new building was constructed at 101
South Main Street, New Madison, Ohio to house the banking operation.
Growth opportunities in Darke County Ohio prompted the bank to expand to
Greenville, Ohio in 1979 with a location at 1107 Sweitzer Street,
Greenville, Ohio, which is across from the Great Darke County
Fairgrounds. The first banking center outside of Darke County was opened
in 1989 at 618 South Washington Street, New Paris, Ohio.
A second location was opened in Greenville in 1999 at 675 Wagner
Avenue. In 2009, a branch was opened in Warren County at 65 West Central
Avenue, Springboro, Ohio. The sixth and most recent location was opened
in 2014 at 100 North Commerce Street, Lewisburg, Ohio.